Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Great Grape Field Trip

This week the entire hagwon went on a field trip to a nearby vineyard. There were two vans, four adults, and 30 sticky kids. Originally the plan was to teach the kids new vocabulary about the harvest, how grapes grow in bunches, etc. Also, I was looking forward to the opportunity to teach a few boys in my class that I can indeed be a fun teacher, because I'm pretty sure in the classroom the only English they've learned from me so far are three phrases: "no kicking," "no hitting," and "please sit down." But clearly that all went out the window as soon as they bumbled off the van and took off running down the rows of grapes, pushing girls into the mud and shaking the trellises. Instead of new science vocabulary, they learned "stop that right now." Oh well, that'll probably translate to real life much better anyway.

Really though, the field trip was a good time. We picked a ton and then had a big picnic. The only thing missing was the wine....

2 comments:

  1. Haley,
    That pretty much sounds like the field trips here!! I love the picture of you with some of your students, you can tell they adore you!! Miss you guys!! Michael and I have loved reading your blog, it's very entertaining!!!
    Love,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you could have used wine. :-)

    ReplyDelete