Sunday, February 27, 2011

Recycling Photos

I've mentioned before that Korea is crazy about recycling and I applaud them.  I choose to overlook the gigantic garbage heaps at the farms near our house and instead focus on city life where the streets and subways are nearly immaculate.  There's so little trash around that it's bothersome sometimes, because finding a garbage can on the street can be a quest of several blocks.

A few pictures I want to share.  First, this one is recycled from a blogger in Japan.  It's a garbage station inside Starbucks, where the customers are asked to sort their trash as they leave.  Pour the liquid in one hatch, place any food waste in another, stack lids and cups in separate bins, etc.  We see this in coffee shops and fast food restaurants all over the place.  So complex but so brilliant!


The next picture was taken near where I work in Seoul.  This huge bear-like thing is called a haechi and has been a symbol of Seoul for centuries.  It's made of used plastic water bottles and it reminded me of public art I'd see in Portland or something.
Haley's Huge Haechi.
Up Close.

No comments:

Post a Comment