Friday, October 30, 2009

My New Job

I finally have a job I were I'm wondering when my next vacation is.  And it just so happens that I have 70+ vacation days saved up.  If you didn't know (and why would you, I neglect blogs for a living), about mid-October I took over a Headquarters Company in one of the Aviation units over here.  Not a sexy job, as the old Company Commander told me when we started inventories, but better than working on Staff.  Staffers do things like make Powerpoint presentations and play the game who can stay at work the longest.  

I traded that for roughly 100+ people working under me who behave exactly how you would expect a bunch of 18-23 year olds with considerable discretionary income to act.  I won't get into any details, as my lawyer would probably advise.  (No, really.  I have a lawyer ON MY SPEED DIAL.  7.  I'm not kidding.  Press and hold 7 on my phone and Kurt, a really cool, really patient lawyer answers.  Show of hands, how many of you who aren't lawyers have a lawyer on your speed dial?)  

In the first 20 days, I've had two guys get in a fight and one went to the hospital, a guy show up for work drunk, sent people to substance abuse counselling, restricted people to post, taken rank, and given extra duty.  Oh.  And laughed really, really hard when a guy set off the fire alarm and evacuated the whole barracks (8 floors) for having his stripper pole-fog machine kit get out of hand.  So like I said, I'm wondering when my next vacation is coming.

But it isn't as bad as I make it out.  There is no management seminar out there that is preparing me like this job is.  I roll in (on my bike...pedal...not motor) at 6 am for PT and before I can catch my breath, it's 6 pm.  Day done.  It's awesome!  Very rarely I'm I told what to do, it's usually the other way around.  And I get to pick my own lunch (usually either 12:20-12:30 or 12:50-1:00).

Now that I've laid the ground work, stay tuned for some wacky adventures.  Never a boring day.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to presume there are only 2 reasons that I am not the attorney on speed dial: 1. I'm not in the Army/JAG and 2. Haley has already retained me and therefore it would be a conflict of interest. Glad that the job is keeping you entertained though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also a company commander in Korea. The longer you stay in the Army, the more you will appreciate lawyers...#7 = Ethics Lawyer, #9 EEO Lawyer (just kidding about the speed dial, but I call them a lot). The taking of the rank and pay is pretty strange. I did my first Summary Courts Marshal when I first got to my new job here. I hadn't taken rank/pay in 10 years. Hated to do it, but considering the crime... The good news is you only have to do command for 12 months in Korea as compared to 18-24 months in CONUS/Europe. Good luck and try to take time for some fun.

    ReplyDelete